General Software Improvements (2nd October 2019 onwards)

Sub-forum for general software improvements threads
hamishmb

Re: General Software Improvements (2nd October 2019 onwards)

Post by hamishmb »

Okay, all done and committed to the use-database branch. I followed the structure you set out, but removed the spaces in the folder names.

Everything seems to be working, but might be worth you checking that the hardware tests still work - I can only inspect the code really when it comes to those.
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

OK. Will do. I had a small problem with the hardware build that I restarted at the weekend. I ran out of pre-crimped hook-up jumpers and opened the new batch that I bought a while ago. It turned out that the metal used (it looks like copper, but probably isn't) in the wire refuses to take solder. I have some other bare hook-up wire, but not enough colours so I've ordered some more, which I'm expecting tomorrow. I'll then use the new branch to test the SAC that I've been building with the tests from the use-database branch.

BTW. is the use-database branch going to expect a NAS Box; I'm assuming it would?
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Sorry to hear that - hope the new wire is better.

Yes, that new branch can only be deployed when the database is installed at WMT. However, the tests should work just fine.
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

OK, so I'll run the hardware tests using the use-database branch and revert to the main branch to test the hardware in conjunction with the Gate Valve.

Then I'll test your new software that you did a while ago with the new sockets code.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Okay :)

Note that the new sockets code is on the master branch - we can technically also easily deploy it at WMT once we've got the VPN working.
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

OK. Thanks.
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

TerryJC wrote: 26/05/2020, 12:28OK, so I'll run the hardware tests using the use-database branch and revert to the main branch to test the hardware in conjunction with the Gate Valve.
Hardware tests work fine using the new 'Testing' directory structure.

However, when the 'main.py' code launched on startup, it exited with an ID error. I haven't pursued this as I assume it is to do with other changes in the use-database branch.
TerryJC wrote: 26/05/2020, 12:28Then I'll test your new software that you did a while ago with the new sockets code.
Should the 'Testing' directory structure be merged into the main branch before I do this?
Terry
hamishmb

Re: G the jeneral Software Improvements (2nd October 2019 onwards)

Post by hamishmb »

Might be because (in the use-database branch) the system ID of the gate valves now starts with "VALVE" so now it's eg "VALVE4" instead of "V4".

I wouldn't worry about that - I was going to do it with the whole use-database branch when I merge that soon. Mind, didn't you already test my new sockets code?
Hamish
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Oh no, I remember, you used the standalone sockets tests, but didn't test in the context of a more complete river system?
Hamish
TerryJC

Re: G the jeneral Software Improvements (2nd October 2019 onwards)

Post by TerryJC »

hamishmb wrote: 30/05/2020, 11:55Might be because (in the use-database branch) the system ID of the gate valves now starts with "VALVE" so now it's eg "VALVE4" instead of "V4".
That's probably it, although I also had a problem with the SumpPi code starting up (see below).
hamishmb wrote: 30/05/2020, 11:55I wouldn't worry about that - I was going to do it with the whole use-database branch when I merge that soon. Mind, didn't you already test my new sockets code?
Yes. I did it with the standalone tests as you noted.

Anyway thinking about what has been going wrong with the execution of main.py, I've booted the system up again and found that SumpPi is failing because I don't have mariadb installed. The gate valve executes without causing that problem, but fails on the system ID as you suggest. However, the name change isn't quite the full story.

My Gate Valve is configured as V1 and would presumably have to be renamed 'VALVE1:V1' to work. However, I've just been looking at the definition of V1 in config.py. In the master, branch, V1 is enabled (eg uncommented); in the use-database branch, V1 is missing completely. Was the use-database branch started a long time ago, from a very old copy of config.py?

Whatever, the cause, it looks like I'll have to debug the code when I try to run the master branch. Can I suggest that you merge your changes before I start that, then I'll be working from the best starting point?
Terry