General Software Improvements (2nd October 2019 onwards)

Sub-forum for general software improvements threads
TerryJC

Re: General Software Improvements (2nd October 2019 onwards)

Post by TerryJC »

We have an online delivery from Tesco on Monday. Since we first started using them Tesco have gradually opened the window of delivery times. They are currently stating 10am to 6pm. They usually tighten that window on the day, but usually not until around 9am.

Shall we tentatively agree to 1500 (assuming Hamish can make it) and I'll flag it up, if Tesco look as if they're going to clash?
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

OK for me, but feel free to suggest another day/time if more convenient, afternoons better for me but I can't make Wednesday 13th PM.
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Let's see what Hamish says before we propose another date. I can do 1500 any other afternoon except this coming week.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

I can do a meeting, but what would we be discussing? And yes testing the software at WMT can wait - I do at least have VMs to test with so it's not too bad.
Hamish
Penri

Post by Penri »

When I raised the issue, further back up the topic, it was to see on what basis we might get ourselves back to "normality", fully expecting that to be quite a bit different from before.

So, and this is straight off the top of my head, if we have a situation where you, Terry and Hamish, were unable to get to WMT but the place was open to visitors, what could we do?

Control the river system more a less manually, which is what we've been doing so far.
I could install all the improvement made, via re-programmed SD cards you provide me, and switch everything, including the new stuff on, and we hope for the best.
We make the river system network accessible to us, via an encrypted tunnel, so it's functioning could be monitored remotely.
Something else.

In the final analysis none of this is critical (or indeed that important) and our health and the health of our loved ones is far more important but I was just trying to explore how we might meet the challenges of the new norm (without knowing what it might be).

Stay safe

Penri
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Penri,

All of your suggestions are feasible. Clearly having remote access would give us the most flexibility, but also the most risk. We would have to open up the firewall in the webserver which isn't hard, but we would also have to open the office router to incoming traffic, which the ISP may not allow. It's easy to make a mistake and make the whole site wide open to being hacked.

So there's a fair amount to discuss.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Happy to do a call at 15:00 today.

Depending on what happens, I might be willing to go in, but probably not if it's open to visitors. Having said that, I think opening to visitors any time soon would be a big mistake. There's a chance Patrick and/or Sophie might be interested in going in as well, any chance of that being allowed or too much of a risk?
Hamish
Penri

Post by Penri »

Hamish

The situation is that no one is allowed in apart from Greg, Mike Hopkins or myself unless there is a specific reason. As of last week one other gardner has been allowed in with social distancing measures, etc. strictly enforced.

There are no plans to open the site to visitors, the trustees are monitoring government advice but are also very aware of the potential vulnerability of the majority of the volunteers, who are on average not young :) .

I can make arrangements for volunteers to be at WMT but it would be limited and for very specific purposes, ie no general volunteering work.

I hope that clarifies it for you, if not I'm happy to talk either on the video conference or give me a call on my mobile.

Hwyl

Penri
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

All good and makes sense :)
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Penri,

At our Video Conference yesterday, you took the action to investigate the procurement of a suitable 3G/4G device to enable Hamish or myself to log in to the River System network remotely to do updates, read logs, download results etc.

I have started a new Topic because I have some observations on this see viewtopic.php?f=14&t=222.
Terry