(August 19th 2019 onwards) River System Status

Sub-forum to hold river system status topics
Penri

Re: (August 19th 2019 onwards) River System Status

Post by Penri »

The hole in the wall is slathered in sealant both inside and out plus I took the precaution of running the outside cable up into the hole from below so water cannot creep along the cable and enter the building.
Penri

Post by Penri »

This morning, in the gap between the showers and the deluge, I managed to connect the Ethernet cable into the Hanham Control Box patch panel, fit a RJ45 connector to the cable inside the Railway Storage Room and finally connect hoses from the mains water tap via the solenoid and into one of the G2 (middle Hanham Room butts group) barrels.

Ethernet cable testing:
IMG_5063.mov
(2.07 MiB) Downloaded 101 times
IMG_5064.mov
(2.51 MiB) Downloaded 96 times
Solenoid plumbing:
IMG_5065.jpeg
IMG_5065.jpeg (63.17 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
I need to tighten up the tap connector to stop a little weeping, but everything else looked watertight. The stop cock feeding the tap was left off.

Oh by the way, I power cycled the Sump RPi this morning and lo and behold the circulation pump was under automatic control again, I waggled the probes for good measure and left the system running in normal full auto mode, I was extremely please but will go in a check continued good operation tomorrow.
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Cable looks good to me, as does everything else.

Good to hear Sump Pi is working again. Hopefully we'll eventually figure out why we have that intermittent problem, but I guess it's not a priority for the moment, as it generally seems to work fine.
Hamish
Penri

Post by Penri »

As the result of the period of dry weather March - May this year and the lockdown meaning that WMT was not opened to the public the river system's main circulation pump was turned off.

As might be expected there was water loss in all river section and bog garden but all bar one section managed to maintain a reasonable depth of water, enough for tadpoles, frogs, newts and the insect population to survive. The exception was the lowest section, nearest the sump, which dried up almost completely. Taking advantage of this the river bed was cleaned and a polyurethane sealer applied to the majority of the bed, the rest was too damp at the time. A lot of stone debris and accumulated mud was found under the bridge nearest the sump and further examination under the bridge revealed a very rough concrete texture to the river bed walls and some voids, see photograph where the voids at circled.
Under sump bridge.jpg
Under sump bridge.jpg (3.9 MiB) Viewed 1247 times
Circumstantial evidence would point to the voids and rough concrete texture as being the prime source of water loss, in that section, so after consultation, plans are in place to coat the area in a "tanking" solution (mix of SRB and cement) and at the same time install the filter basket guides permanently into the river trough.

Enlarged cracks found in other sections of the river have been addressed during this time too.
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Every cloud...
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

... which passed overhead yesterday dropped a lot of rain. As a result the river and butts are full, including the lowest section which may put the tanking operation on hold!
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Fortunately it is drier again now so fixing it might not be so much of a problem.

Should we start a new river system status thread - this is getting very long?
Hamish
Penri

Post by Penri »

Hamish

Yes to new thread

... and I'm half way through trying to fix the issue.

Penri
Penri

Post by Penri »

Let me round off this thread with a note then start another River Status thread for the 2020 season.

On Tuesday 24th the lowest section of the river trough from it's two weirs up to the bridge nearest the sump was sealed with the G4 proprietary pond sealer.

One Thursday 25th the river bed under the bridge nearest the sump was coated with a SBR / Cement mix, recommended as an excellent "tanking" solution.The approach was taken as it would have proved impossible to ensure an adequate coating with the G4 product, it proved challenging with the SRB/Cement mix!

There was heavy rain on Friday26th that partially re-filled the lowest section of the river.

A decision was taken not to pump out the water and attempt to permanently fix the filter baskets in place but to restart the river control system.