(August 19th 2019 onwards) River System Status

Sub-forum to hold river system status topics
Penri

Re: (August 19th 2019 onwards) River System Status

Post by Penri »

Just a note for the record, the sump was empty today, level around 100 to 200mm, the circulation pump was still running. I would have expected the system to have turned the pump off.

I turned the circulation pump SSR control to OFF and asked WMT staff to leave it like that, I want the see how the river level settles in each of the sections.
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

These odd events continued today. I took the readings as usual, but noticed that the Sump level had been recorded at 375 mm for almost a week and Penri reported that the Circulation Pump wasn't running, the Sump was actually full and the Butts Pump wasn't being turned on even though there was lots of room in the Wendy Butts.

On further investigation we found that the SumpPi logs contained no records of the levels changing and no records of either pump being turned on or off since the 21st (the day after the last reboot). After several reboots and cold restarts, we saw the readings from the Wendy Butts being sent and received by the Sump Pi, but still never saw any pump activity (physical or in the logs).

One thing we did notice is that SumpPi was attempting to connect to the Stage Butts Pi (which had been removed for repairs to the Butts platform). Working on the principle that SumpPi may never get round to running the algorithm if one of the devices fails to connect, (is this reasonable?), I tried to comment the G6 entries from config.py by commenting out lines 297 to 353 inclusive. Unfortunately, I got a syntax error on the next following line (356 starting "V4") and couldn't see why.

We then had to go because the time was getting near to closing time, so had to leave it as it was.

Any ideas?
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

Just for clarification of the above post from Terry, the Circulation pump had been turned back on (from OFF to AUTO) before the events he notes were observed.

We did run both pump in manual mode to make sure they were working, they were.
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Yes, you'll need to change the configuration at Sump Pi - it won't start without connecting to the other Pis if memory serves, but it's easer done at home I imagine.
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

This morning I created a specially crafted version of config.py on my desktop here. This has the entry for G6 (the Stage Pi) completely removed (not commented out).

At WMT I renamed config.py on the Sump Pi SD card to config.old and uploaded the crafted version. After a restart everything seems to be working.

I temporarily increased the circulation pump to '3' (from '1'), which pretty much emptied the Sump and the circulation pump turned off. I then turned the circulation pump back to '1'.

When I left, the Gate Valve was open and the Sump was refilling from the Butts.
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

Check the river system today, all was well.
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

While I was in this morning I grabbed the results.

SumpPi was not communicating over the network (no route to host), but the logfile shows that the pi was running and recording errors etc. Rebooted.
Attachments
2020-02-04_Results&Logs.zip
(3.33 MiB) Downloaded 90 times
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Today's Results and Logs. On a quick look, everything seems to be working OK.
Attachments
2020-02-11_Results&Logs.zip
(1.05 MiB) Downloaded 80 times
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Today's Results and Logs. On a quick look, everything seems to be working OK. Remarkable since I've not looked at these for 3 weeks.
Attachments
2020-03-02_Results&Logs.zip
(2.56 MiB) Downloaded 83 times
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

Hello

As I may have reported elsewhere I found a leak in the Hanham Butts group. The leak was the manifold side of the ball valve controlling the G3 group (first group as you got through the access gate to the butts).

Last week I tried to patch the leak with self agglomerating tape, even heating the tape it to make it even stickier, I managed to slow the leak to the odd drop so left it to cure. Today I tested it again and the leak was still evident so I decided to cut out the offering section. A photograph of the split in the pipe which caused the leak is provided below.
IMG_4976.jpeg
IMG_4976.jpeg (3.12 MiB) Viewed 1275 times
As you see the split goes right into the joint with the valve so accounting for it being so hard to stop.

What caused the split? As we've not experienced an occurance like this before, as far as I can remember at least, I've discounted environmental factors and decided it may have been because the ball valve is unsupported by anything but the pipe itself, so turning the valve on and off (they are very stiff) may have cause the pipe to weaken and finally split. This being the case I've fixed a length of recycled plastic "wood" on a pad of mortar under where the valve will sit and will fix the valve to it with a couple of pipe clips to remove any strain on the pipes when the valve is operated.
IMG_4977.jpeg
IMG_4977.jpeg (2.19 MiB) Viewed 1275 times
I'll remake the connections when I'm next in and let you know whether the fix has been successful.

Penri