Investigation of Level Sensor Anomalies

Acts as an interface between the other forums here. Used to coordinate overall direction of the project.
TerryJC

Re: Investigation of Level Sensor Anomalies

Post by TerryJC »

Hamish,

Penri has several probes now, but you would also need the A/D converter to connect to it. You don't need an Interfacing Assembly because the A/D connects straight to the Pi on the one side and to the probe wires on the other. You would also need a 12 V, 1.5 A PSU to run the probe. You can see how its done at viewtopic.php?f=15&t=130#p2066. If you are in WMT this morning, perhaps Penri can help you get the right hardware (I'm the only one with A/Ds though I think).

If all else fails, then of course you should come round here. However, with my mother here, I'm not left with much time to spare at the moment.

One solution would be for me to lend you the system that I have here. The only problem with that is that I am currently using my bench PSU to power the Pi, so you would need a suitably terminated brick or borrow that too.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Penri has lent me a probe, but I'll need the A/D and power supply. I'll see if I can fix the code without. With some luck, I won't need to use the probe and can give it back on Tuesday.
Hamish
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Okay, I fixed it. It wasn't starting the ManageHallEffectProbe thread when the class constructor was called. Clearly I was tired when I wrote it!

Try the latest source on github now :)
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Just going out for the evening. I'll give it a try tomorrow.
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Hamish,

I didn't get a chance to try out the new version yesterday, but I have just set it going about 5 minutes ago. Everything seems normal.

Are there any new tests that you'd like me to try? I'm out again today, but should be back by mid-afternoon. Then I'll be leaving for the Midlands tomorrow morning and back around Monday lunch time. I can leave the kit running while I'm away.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Hmm, you could run the unit tests, but they aren't finished, and I know they work anyway, so not a lot of point.

Beyond that, maybe you could test if exiting the programs with CTRL-C is faster and more reliable than before? You also may need to update your configuration file - config.py doesn't store the socket settings twice any more (no longer under SUMP as well as all of the sites like we discussed) :)
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

hamishmb wrote: 06/07/2019, 13:50Beyond that, maybe you could test if exiting the programs with CTRL-C is faster and more reliable than before?
It seems much the same as before; see the screenshot below:
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (469.58 KiB) Viewed 1281 times
The error message reads:

Code: Select all

Nameerror: name 'sockets' is not defined.
hamishmb wrote: 06/07/2019, 13:50You also may need to update your configuration file - config.py doesn't store the socket settings twice any more (no longer under SUMP as well as all of the sites like we discussed) :)
I'm not sure what you mean by this. I restarted SButtsPi and the program seemed to behave normally.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Oh yeah, I forgot I needed to fix it in the universal monitor script. Ah well.

I'm just referring to what we planned in the "Sockets Configuration" section here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=149&p=2194#p2194. This means you can also remove your aid memoir you added after the issues setting up the networking for the G6 site.
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

OK. Back from the frozen North.

Everything seemed OK when I got in here earlier today, although I only checked the text on the Monitor connected to SButtsPi. Then about half an hour ago, I tried to SSH into both Pis - nothing; no response from either. I went back to the Monitor and the screen said:

Code: Select all

Lost connection to peer (SumpPi).  Reconnecting.....Reconnected to SumpPi... 
(Lots of dots after this and a screen full before.)

I tried to connect to the Router with my phone - no signal - no lights. I power cycled the router; still no signal or lights. The PSU brick is delivering ~17 V (nominally 15 V). I've now powered the router off completely and will restart it in about half an hour.

Question? why does SSumpPi think it has reconnected to SumpPi when there is clearly no connectivity through the router?
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

My Router definitely seems to have died which puts paid to any local testing.

I'll be bringing SButtsPi in with me tomorrow, since it seems to be working OK.

Penri, Do I need to bring the Probe?
Terry