Results Database Server

A subforum dedicated to topics around the NAS.
TerryJC

Results Database Server

Post by TerryJC »

As mentioned, here is preliminary information about the Database Server that we agreed to set up for storing Readings, logs and anything else that we care to stick up there.

The device is a D-Link DNS-320L and it has two 1TB discs in it, configured as RAID1. I've attached a screenshot showing what the landing page looks like and another that shows the Apps (most of which are installed by default). I installed phpMyAdmin, as you can see and the final screenshot shows the admin page of phpMyAdmin.
DNS-320L_Screenshot.png
DNS-320L_Screenshot.png (161.51 KiB) Viewed 1313 times
DNS-320L_Apps.png
DNS-320L_Apps.png (200.25 KiB) Viewed 1313 times
phpMyAdmin_Screenshot.png
phpMyAdmin_Screenshot.png (117.81 KiB) Viewed 1313 times
I don't intend to do anything more with this, since the structure of the database that we set up will depend on how we decide that we want the data stored and I think Hamish probably would like to think about that a bit more before we proceed. I've also attached the Datasheet and User Manual for the DNS-320L and also a short file that contains its current credentials and IP Address. My network is in the range 192.168.1.xxx and I have given it a fixed IP Address that suits that range. For deployment the Webserver Pi at WMT uses 192.168.0.1 and it has a built in DHCP server that reserves 192.168.0.1 to 99 for fixed IP addresses. People who log onto the WMT WiFI Access Point are given IP Addresses starting at 192.168.0.100, so we have enough address space for all the River System devices that start at 192.168.0.2.

Hamish, If you borrow this for development, as discussed it may work as is (my Netgear Router happily accepts it, but I may just be lucky that it hadn't already served up that address (this config was what I used some time ago and I've forgotten exactly how I did it)). However, your Router may need the DHCP range to be tweaked or you may simply need to setup a different static IP address (in that case you may need to use the Windows setup disc to even get to talk to it, I'm not sure).

Anyway, this is what we've got.

EDIT: Datasheet uploaded to https://wmtprojectsforum.altervista.org ... /NAS%20Box
Attachments
DNS-320_Settings.txt
(141 Bytes) Downloaded 89 times
Terry
TerryJC

Re: Results Database Server

Post by TerryJC »

It didn't accept the Manual (too many attachments?) Trying again.

EDIT: Manual uploaded to https://wmtprojectsforum.altervista.org ... /NAS%20Box
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

That looks like quite an impressive system! I've never used a standalone ready-to-buy NAS before, so this should be interesting.

I'm glad it uses phpMyAdmin, I'm quite familiar with that software.

I'm going to guess it choked on the manual because it's quite big, but it seems to have worked. I'll have a quick read through.
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

I wouldn't worry too much about reading the manual. It's useful when you start using it, but it doesn't really say much; it says next to nothing about phpMyAdmin. The poor support was one of the reasons that I switched to a Netgear NAS about a year or so ago.

Let me know when you would like to have this for playing with and I will drop it off for you. It just occurred to me that I could loan you a switch at the same time, but when I went to look, I realised that my last spare switch has been installed behind the Wendy Butts and won't be available until Penri's 16-port one has been installed. I could lend you an old wireless router; set up like the one that we have in the Green box and also set the NAS in the 192.168.0.xxx range so that you can use it straight away in the environment that it is intended for. On the other hand, you may prefer to use it from your own network initially, in which case, I'll leave it as is.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

I probably won't need it just yet, but if I have a play with it I can do updates and extended SMART tests and get to know how it works before I need to set the database up - might be useful.

If you're coming in on Thursday (tomorrow) could you bring it with you and an old router please? I should be able to just use the router as a switch and disable the antenna. If you leave the NAS on the 192.168.1.x network that would be ideal - my home network uses that range :)
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

I can't come in tomorrow morning, but I'll drop the stuff off this afternoon. I'll leave it in the Office. I need to power up the old router to check that it works properly anyway, so I'll make sure that it's on the WMT network range.
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

OK. The bad news is that the spare Router that I have (a BT Home Hub V2.0) won't allow me to set IP Addresses in the 192.168.0.xxx range (it claims they're invalid). It would probably still work as a switch but I have no idea if it would switch 'invalid IP Addresses'.

The good news is that I've now found the spare switch I thought I had, so you will find a TP-Link 4-port switch in the box with the NAS.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Ah, that's good. What IP is the NAS box currently using?
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

That will be fine :)
Hamish