2nd and Subsequent Gate Valve Construction

A forum for discussion on the WMT River Control System hardware.
TerryJC

2nd and Subsequent Gate Valve Construction

Post by TerryJC »

I have made a start on building the second Gate Valve and also begun kitting for four more for the Matrix Pump.

I identified some shortages wrt inductors and capacitors, so have ordered 10 additional ferrite bead inductors (each Gate Valve needs 1 and the remaining two Pi Interfaces (Lady Hanham and Gazebo will also need one each)). I am also short of 10 nF capacitors (although I have enough for the initial build of the Stage Butts valve), so I tried to order some more (see https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/1335715/, but RS are currently out of stock and not even taking back orders at present. These are what I used to suppress the spikes from the Actuator Motor and I know they work, so I'd rather stick to these. I tried elsewhere, but 10 nF 50 V ceramic capacitors are quite expensive compared to RS anyway.

None of this is a problem yet, and I can certainly continue with the build of the 2nd valve with what I have, but it will need to be resolved before we get onto building the Matrix Valve.

Penri,

I will need an Actuator Assembly to complete the work.
Terry
Penri

Re: 2nd and Subsequent Gate Valve Construction

Post by Penri »

Terry

I can take one to WMT whenever you want but will definitely be there myself tomorrow (Tuesday) morning with one in my bag.

Penri
Penri

Post by Penri »

Terry

I delivered a couple of assembled gate valves to WMT this morning, they are on the workbench in the poly tunnel.

Penri
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Ok thank you.
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

At WMT last Tuesday and in subsequent emails to Penri, I rashly suggested that I would have a Gate Valve finished to put into the Stage Butts output pipe by Tuesday.

It's still possible, but I've had a few setbacks (nothing to do with the Valves). First I had a domestic maintenance issue on Thursday, which ended up taking all day. Then on Friday, I developed a really nasty cough and it has steadily got worse since then. I'm pretty sure I caught it from my mother while she was down the week befor ppe last; if so, I don't expect to get over it anytime soon because she has only just shook it off.

Having said that, I think I will have a completed valve by Wednesday, but I think the opportunity to deploy may well have passed by then. We also need Hamish's new Software Framework and he feels that a bit more time would be beneficial.

Since both Penri and Hamish are on holiday next week, it looks as if it may take a week or so before we can install the new valve. The good news is that I should have five completed valves by then.
Last edited by TerryJC on 14/07/2019, 20:19, edited 2 times in total.
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

Thanks for the update, I'll do the necessary plumbing revisions early this coming week to accommodate the Stage Butts gate valve.
Penri

Post by Penri »

Completed a little re-plumbing this morning.

Prepared locations for installation of the Stage Gate Valve:
IMG_3867.jpg
IMG_3867.jpg (3.13 MiB) Viewed 1324 times
This necessitated the relocation of the Stage butts ball valve:
IMG_3866.jpg
IMG_3866.jpg (2.69 MiB) Viewed 1324 times
Penri

Post by Penri »

Terry

Would you like to add the connectors shown in the attached to the gate valve assembly; they are keyed, waterproof, good for 8A and I have around 20 pairs available.

It would save having to crawl on ones belly to connect the 12V supply to the valve assemblies, or at least save Hamish the job!

Penri
Attachments
IMG_3868.jpeg
IMG_3868.jpeg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 1322 times
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Sounds like a plan. Can you leave five in the W/S with the other four cases? If I'm in tomorrow, I'll pick them up.

We could also use them on the Pi Interfaces and free up a couple of TB pins to accommodate the new Float Switch..
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

The connectors will be with me tomorrow, I just have to remember to leave them in the workshop.