Second Production System Interfacing Build

A forum for discussion on the WMT River Control System hardware.
TerryJC

Second Production System Interfacing Build

Post by TerryJC »

Hi,

I've been busy building the second production System Interface (the Stage Butts Pi).

As always, I've noticed a few minor errors and have updated the Master & Remote Pis Composite Document to reflect these changes. I will post an updated version of that document here when I have completed the build (hopefully in a day or two (assuming no more unexpected interrupts)).

There will be two more of these assemblies built; one for the Lady Hanham Butts Pi and one for the Gazebo Butts Pi. These two will also use the same set of drawings, with minor (or slightly less than minor) modifications. I'll post about those changes nearer the time, but suffice to say, the Lady Hanham Butts Pi will need more functionality and the Gazebo Butts Pi less.

This assembly has been built to exactly the same design as the Wendy Street Butts Pi interface, although it shouldn't need any SSR outputs, so I may leave the relevant chip out of the build. I will still include the IC Socket and the relevant wire links, in case we need to add that functionality later (or move the device to another location).

Any comments on that approach?
Terry
Penri

Re: Second Production System Interfacing Build

Post by Penri »

Ok with me Terry. The SSR functionality will probably be required on both Lady Hanham and Gazebo eventually, the former for controlling a solenoid for water mains to top up butts the latter for a pump to deliver water to where the gardeners need it.
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Penri,

I wasn't aware of either of those Requirements. I'll update the System Diagram to show the functions.
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

Terry

Not requested user requirements, yet, just planning for emergent needs and taking advantage of opportunities. 😁
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Oh! You mean creeping requirements. :)
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

Yes, but the potential users don’t know that they’ll probably creep in that direction at some future point and not realise the need is catered for.
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Penri,

I trust you enjoyed your break?

After a couple of distractions, the Stage Butts Interfacing system is almost ready for deployment. It has passed it's Unit Tests, but I need to set up a local network to ensure that it will be recognised and read by Sump Pi once installed.

Before we deploy though there are a few dependencies:
  1. We will need a suitable IP55/65 case to put it in. In turn, we will need a suitable baseboard to mount the new assembly onto inside the case. We could mount it directly onto the back of the case, but we haven't done it that way in the past, because the primary baseboard has been used to secure cables etc.
  2. We need a suitable 12 V PSU to power it.
  3. We will need a fairly long Cat 5 cable to link it to the system.
  4. We will need a spare port on the Ethernet Switch behind the Wendy Street Butts. (I think that there is one, but I'm not 100% sure of that.)
  5. We will need a concrete 'foot' on the Hall Effect Probe.
  6. We will need a float switch.
Do you have any of the above? There may be other dependencies that I hadn't thought of.

We will also need a weather window to be able to install it without danger of the whole thing getting flooded out.

Software wise, I will update config.py so that the Software Framework will know about the new device, but I won't do anything to the the control algorithm. Until we have a working Gate Valve for the Stage Butts outlet pipe, there is little that can be done with the stored water anyway.

(I have done some preliminary work on the next Gate Valve and will get onto it again as soon as the above dependencies have been arranged and the final testing of the Stage Butts interface is complete.)
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

Terry,

I need a less travel addled brain to answer your questions, will address tomorrow/ Monday.

Penri
Penri

Post by Penri »

Terry

Suitable IP55/65 case to put it in. In turn, we will need a suitable baseboard to mount the new assembly onto inside the case. We could mount it directly onto the back of the case, but we haven't done it that way in the past, because the primary baseboard has been used to secure cables etc.
Cases on order, should have them later this week, I'll create a baseboard when they arrive

We need a suitable 12 V PSU to power it.
5A supply on order in case I don't have anything suitable in stockb]

We will need a fairly long Cat 5 cable to link it to the system.
I don't have any Cat 5

We will need a spare port on the Ethernet Switch behind the Wendy Street Butts. (I think that there is one, but I'm not 100% sure of that.)
Don't know what's available on the existing switch. I still have the 16port switch plus suitable enclosure but it needs mechanical design and assembly.The enclosure is large enough to accommodate the switch, a patch panel (both of which I have) and power supply.

We will need a concrete 'foot' on the Hall Effect Probe.
I will manufacture a foot when you can let me have one of the probes back

We will need a float switch.
Suitable microswitch on their way, then I will need to create a float switch

Do you have any of the above? There may be other dependencies that I hadn't thought of.
I have IP 65 connector pairs for the probe, power supply and Ethernet
Penri

Post by Penri »

Please disregard comment on my need for probes to manufacture weighted feet, I'd forgotten I'd already made and sealed one end of a couple of tubes ready for casting on weighted feet.