Installation Specification

Holds discussions about Wimborne Model Town's River System Design and any relevant drawings.

Relevant documents are available at https://wmtprojectsforum.altervista.org ... les/Design
hamishmb

Re: Installation Specification

Post by hamishmb »

Looks like we jumped from 0.15 to 0.17 by accident - my WIP version was 0.16.

I can't diff it as it isn't readable in a text editor - diff thinks it's a binary file, so I can't see what changes you've made. If by "all the proposed changes", you meant the WIP version I uploaded before, we'll need to undo this because that wasn't ready and hadn't been tested properly.

If you included any of my changes from the WIP version, could you please redo your changes on top of 0.15, ignoring my WIP version, so I can then merge the changes from my WIP version and finish testing the VM setup procedure?

I logged into sump pi and the NAS box and they're both using mysqlclient 1.4.4 - I think there is a compatibility problem that arose later, hence me limiting the version to 2.0.1, so I think we should change that too in every instance to be mysqlclient==2.0.1. I'm happy to come in with my pi 1 at some point to test my theory, seeing as I'm the one who didn't make proper notes in the first place. This post from last November seems to suggest we need 2.0.1 or older: viewtopic.php?p=5341#p5341
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

hamishmb wrote: 01/06/2022, 10:52Looks like we jumped from 0.15 to 0.17 by accident - my WIP version was 0.16.
I used your WIP version that you posted on 20/05/22 to create V 0.17. I thought that was what we agreed (although I can't find where just at the moment). My recollection is that you were going to create V 0.18.
hamishmb wrote: 01/06/2022, 10:52I can't diff it as it isn't readable in a text editor - diff thinks it's a binary file, so I can't see what changes you've made. If by "all the proposed changes", you meant the WIP version I uploaded before, we'll need to undo this because that wasn't ready and hadn't been tested properly.
I should have said Compare Versions. You can see how to do it at https://help.libreoffice.org/7.3/en-US/ ... _id3154788.
hamishmb wrote: 01/06/2022, 10:52If you included any of my changes from the WIP version, could you please redo your changes on top of 0.15, ignoring my WIP version, so I can then merge the changes from my WIP version and finish testing the VM setup procedure?
If you do the compare versions between 0.16 WIP and 0.17, you will see the changes that I made. They were very trivial apart form the installation instructions for the MySQL stuff. If you do the compare versions between 0.15 and 0.17, you will see all the changes since you and Patrick completed it some time ago.
hamishmb wrote: 01/06/2022, 10:52I logged into sump pi and the NAS box and they're both using mysqlclient 1.4.4 - I think there is a compatibility problem that arose later, hence me limiting the version to 2.0.1, so I think we should change that too in every instance to be mysqlclient==2.0.1. I'm happy to come in with my pi 1 at some point to test my theory, seeing as I'm the one who didn't make proper notes in the first place. This post from last November seems to suggest we need 2.0.1 or older: viewtopic.php?p=5341#p5341
Hmmm. I didn't force the version and the system worked. However, I can't remember what version was installed, so if this is a problem with the NAS Box, the version might have to be downgraded on site. Penri has the Valve and is intending to install it soon if he has time. Otherwise, it might have to wait until mid June as he is going away.

I didn't write this into V0.17, so V0.18 will need it adding.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Okay, I'll do that, and thanks, I didn't know about that feature.

Yeah, I guess we can downgrade it on site if it becomes an issue, seems fair enough.
Hamish
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Okay, attached is the new version for review. There were a lot of annoying omissions in the VM creation and configuration instructions, but I think I got all of them. There are some other minor changes as well, but nothing groundbreaking.
Attachments
WMT_River_System_Installation_Specification_Iss_0.18.odt
(1.01 MiB) Downloaded 33 times
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Hamish et al,

I cannot comment on the bulk of your changes because I do not have enough knowledge of the subject matter. However, I have gone through your changes and created a version which shows a few grammatical comments. These are mostly superfluous page feeds and the odd phraseology change, which are opinion mosttly.

When everyone's happy, I'll upload a clean version to the fileserver.
Attachments
WMT_River_System_Installation_Specification_Iss_0.18(TJC_Edits).odt
(1 MiB) Downloaded 35 times
Terry
PatrickW

Post by PatrickW »

I just had a read through both of the previous uploads. Most of the changes look fine.

With the instruction to put the HDD on SATA port 1 having been removed, the

Code: Select all

VBoxManage storageattach "[GuestOsMachineName]" --storagectl "SATA" --port 1 --device 0 --nonrotational on --discard on --medium "[file.vdi]" --type hdd
command needs to be changed to specify port 0, which is the default. I don't think port 1 is specified anywhere else. I think using port 1 came about by accident (I just happened to add the optical drive to the controller before the HDD).

The instructions now say to put the optical drive on an IDE controller. This seems like a sensible simplification given that IDE was the default configuration for the optical drive, and changing controllers is a bit of a faff. However, I have just discovered that now both the HDD and the optical drive are put on a SATA controller by default. It doesn't really matter what controller the optical drive is on, as it is only used for installing the OS, so maybe we should say it needs an "optical drive (the default)" but not say what controller to put it on.

The 7z command

7z a -t7z -mx=9 WMT\ River\ System\ VMs.7z WMT\ River\ System\ VMs
assumes that all the VMs are in a folder called "WMT River System VMs", but the instruction to put them into a single folder has been removed.

This made me realise that I normally "Group" the VMs into a subfolder using the VirtualBox GUI as soon as I have finished cloning them from the base image, rather than doing it manually in the filesystem, though the effect is the same either way.

I suppose I could reasonably infer that the VMs need to be put into a folder of their own before running that 7z command, but I might not realise I can actually move them into a subfolder within the VirtualBox Machines folder, or that VirtualBox will do that for me if I group them.
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Okay, agreed about the first point.

Interestingly, it defaulted to IDE for me, but yeah, I'm happy to just remove all mention of the bus for the optical drive - it's irrelevant anyway.

I'll add a note about grouping the VMs in the GUI, good catch.

Hamish
Hamish
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Okay, I have made the changes discussed and reviewed the document. I found nothing else to change.

The revised version is attached.
Attachments
WMT_River_System_Installation_Specification_Iss_0.18(Revised).odt
(1 MiB) Downloaded 34 times
Hamish
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Bump. Is everyone happy for this to become Iss 0.19? It's not on the webserver yet.
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

I don't know why, but I seem to have version of this called Iss_01(Final) with three edits. Two are trivial formatting fixes (duplicate carriage returns), but one is less so. See Page 44:

VBoxManage storageattach "[GuestOsMachineName]" --storagectl "SATA" --port 01 --device 0 --nonrotational on --discard on --medium "[file.vdi]" --type hdd
instead of:

VBoxManage storageattach "[GuestOsMachineName]" --storagectl "SATA" --port 0 --device 0 --nonrotational on --discard on --medium "[file.vdi]" --type hdd
In the (Revised) version the 1 of port 01 is struck through, so I'm assuming that I accidentally rejected the change instead of accepting it.

I have no idea why I didn't post this at the time (11th June).
Terry