Installation Specification

Holds discussions about Wimborne Model Town's River System Design and any relevant drawings.

Relevant documents are available at https://wmtprojectsforum.altervista.org ... les/Design
TerryJC

Re: Installation Specification

Post by TerryJC »

Thanks Hamish,

I've uploaded the updated document to https://wmtprojectsforum.altervista.org ... stallation.

I only made a couple of changes to your additions; both to do with style. First I reworded your entry about the Reference numbers to be similar to the rest of the document, ie not using the terms 'You', 'we', etc. I also replaced double quotes with single quotes in text, eg "Normal" to 'Normal'. (I didn't change the usage of quotation marks in code.) The changes were to retain consistency within the document.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Looks good to me.
Hamish
PatrickW

Post by PatrickW »

I have just tested the instructions in Annexes A and B, for creating VMs. I found the document a bit confusing, so here is a new one with some proposed changes (under "track changes"). The changes are described in comments in the document.

In summary: I have rearranged and re-worded various parts of the annexes in order to remove redundant and out-of-date information and make it more-closely align to what we actually do now.

See also a couple of minor technical questions in the Smaller Pi VMs thread.

I forgot to set my own name for the "Track Changes" feature, so I am "Unknown Author" in this draft.

[EDIT: Oh, it seems I can't attach the file here. Try this: https://c.gmx.com/@557625524495587327/l ... cFtEsGq-Nw ]
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Excellent, your changes make the instructions far easier to follow. I'm very happy with this and suggest only a revision bump to 0.15 before we accept the changes and upload.

Terry, are you happy with these changes too?

NB: Uploading here should work fine - what error do you get?
Hamish
PatrickW

Post by PatrickW »

hamishmb wrote: 05/08/2021, 18:03 NB: Uploading here should work fine - what error do you get?
It just doesn't seem to work. I'm guessing "STATUS" next to the file in the list of attachments is supposed to be a progress bar showing the upload progress, but it never progresses beyond its initial position. If I wait a minute, the forum presents a modal dialog titled "Error", which says "HTTP error." and just has the option to close the dialog.

Your post prompted me to re-read my edits to the document, and I noticed a couple of things I'd missed, so here's an updated version.

https://c.gmx.com/@557625524495587327/z ... I6QsWhb6tw

Just so you can find them without meticulously comparing the two documents, the changes from my previous draft to this one are:
  • I removed a typo on the first page of Annex B ("Use Git on to fetch the..." --> "Use Git to fetch the...")
  • In my previous draft, I changed the recommendation about at what point to install the river control software on the VMs, but I inadvertently left an instance of the old recommendation at the foot of page 47, creating a contradiction. This new draft fixes that.
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Hmm, seems to work for me. I have since updated the forum, though, so could you try again and let me know what happens?

All looks good to me.

Terry?
Hamish
PatrickW

Post by PatrickW »

Ahh. I found that it worked if I configure the browser extension HTTPS Everywhere to be disabled for this site. Part of the upload process connects via HTTP, and HTTPS Everywhere's attempt to upgrade it to HTTPS must be causing the upload to fail.

Interestingly, when I disabled HTTPS Everywhere and looked at the Firefox Developer Tools Network panel, although the POST request started out as HTTP, it got upgraded to HTTPS, so it seems as though the server itself redirects to HTTPS and supports uploading over HTTPS, but yet somehow it only does this if the initial connection is over HTTP. (This is just the connection for the file upload. The web page itself is served over HTTPS just fine.)

I did manage to upload the file; several times. However, in so doing, I seemed to cause it to break, so that it no longer worked even with HTTPS Everywhere completely disabled for all sites. I think the server must have got fed up with my repeated attempts to upload the same file.

So, I gave it several hours and now it seems to be working again (once again with HTTPS Everywhere disabled for this site).

So, here is the same file as linked from my previous post.
Attachments
WMT_River_System_Installation_Specification_DRAFT2.odt
(1.01 MiB) Downloaded 47 times
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Patrick,

It seems I wasn't subscribed to this Topic (not sure why since I created it).

I have downloaded your updated version and will apply them to the master document sometime later today. I will then upload V0.15 to the fileserver.
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Sorry it has taken so long to sort this out; I never noticed your posting when you made it Patrick.

This is now a very comprehensive document. :!:

I have to admit that I didn't do much more that accept all the changes, delete all the comments and breathe over the formatting to remove errant line-feeds that had crept in. I'm afraid that my knowledge of Virtual Machines, especially at this level, doesn't stretch to being able to review the changes any other way. Hamish, I assume that you had a look at this back in August.

I've uploaded the new version to the file server.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Indeed, I looked it over in August and all seemed good at the time.
Hamish