Data Visualisation

A forum to organise work carried out by Canford School students
Philipp

Data Visualisation

Post by Philipp »

Hello,
My name is Philipp and I will be working on visualising a large data set.
Penri

Re: Data Visualisation

Post by Penri »

Nicely done, welcome aboard!
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Philipp,

Welcome!

To get you started, here is the Topic that contains all of the results files: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=31#p318. This will be regularly updated as we download more results.

The latest version of the GUI Requirements Spec that I showed you yesterday may be found here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=68&start=10#p897 and the supplementary requirements for the Data Visualisation are attached to this post.
Attachments
Visualistion requirement v03.odt
(24.03 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Hello Philpp,

Terry has given me the low-down for this, I think. From what I understand, you're using something called matplotlib for graph generation. Unfortunately, I wasn't aware of this earlier, and have compiled and tested Gnuplot for the NAS box (which we're thinking of eventually using to generate the graphs).

I can attempt to build matplotlib for the NAS box, but as it uses an old architecture and old software, it's a bit touch-and-go as to whether it will work or not :/

How far have you gotten using matplotlib? I'd hate for you to have to re-do work, so if you've gotten quite far along using matplotlib, I will try to get it working on the NAS box, but otherwise, could you have a look at Gnuplot and see whether you think that will work for your needs?

There are some other things to take into account such as memory usage and speed (the box is slow and has only 256MB of RAM), but essentially I don't want either of us to have to re-do work if at all possible.

Hamish
Hamish
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

NOTE: Gnuplot can be run on Windows as well.

It can be downloaded from https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnuplo ... lot/5.2.7/, and once extracted, the wgnuplot.exe file can be run which gives you a nice graphical shell:
gnuplot.png
gnuplot.png (24.55 KiB) Viewed 1532 times
Hamish
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

Hello Hamish,

All I did with matplotlib was make a few graphs which helped with some of my programs- so nothing serious.
I'm very happy to learn all about Gnuplot; but it may take me a little while to get my head around it.
Thanks,
Philipp
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Okay. I bought a book called Gnuplot in Action that is very helpful. I also have a PDF copy, so would you like me to send it to you?
Hamish
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

I found the PDF online and it does seem very helpful; thanks for the suggestion. I've watched some tutorials online and I think I've got the basics now.
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Excellent :)

The post at viewtopic.php?f=14&t=190#p2654 might be useful for you - there's a document with the database format, which should give you some ideas as to what information will be available. If you can think of any other data that would be useful for the charts, let me know.

Our idea at the moment, is that software on the NAS box will pull the records out of the database to a file, and then we will process that - don't worry about the way the data is organised in the database, we can change that to whatever works for you.
Hamish
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

one_day.png
one_day.png (40.86 KiB) Viewed 1498 times
The graph showing the water levels in one day. Has 0s and multiple colours on hourly basis. Currently working on getting the graph into one colour; then importing multiple days for comparison.