Water butt plumbing

A forum for discussion on the WMT River Control System hardware.
Penri

Water butt plumbing

Post by Penri »

First time I've been the first to post on a topic, how exciting!

This afternoon I ordered a replacement pipe coupler, I've gone for a different material, it's called Tough resin, which I think is very appropriate. We should have it by Tuesday (6th), hopefully early enough for us to install so we can continue our commissioning and testing of the plumbing on Thursday.

Penri
Penri

Re: Water butt plumbing

Post by Penri »

Hello all

I've now got all the bits needed to connect the return flow from the water butts to the sump. Will attempt a dry fit at the next opportunity and if everything goes OK we'll gum it together.

We have the water supply side, i.e. sump to butts, connected and commissioned. We've filled the barrels to around one quarter / one third full by manually operating the Karcher pump, and Hamish has been looking for and sorting any leaks, which have been more like weeping joints than anything else. The prototype restive probe has been trialled in one of the stand-pipes, successfully, in a stand alone configuration i.e. leds showing the water level.

Penri
Penri

Post by Penri »

The return side is now plumbed in and has been tested. Water started to flow back from the sump through both return pipes but then water flow stopped in one pipe, cause unknown and needs investigation.

The flow rate as seen at the sump was ok for a gravity fed system, given the water head was limited, but it would take quite some time to fill the sump if that was all the flow rate we could expect. It will be interesting to see if we can deal with that rate of flow in our control algorithms or if a pump will become a necessity, interesting stuff!
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Water flow in the single pipe is confirmed working again, but I'm not sure why it stopped.

We can probably deal with it, the system will just have to try and predict what will happen an hour before it does :P

Hamish
Hamish
Penri

Post by Penri »

Hello all

First the bad news, the reducer coupler I designed and installed that routes water back from the butts to the sump has failed, see photo. Fortunately it's after the in-line stop cock so we haven't lost any water. I'm working with Jack, the 3D print supplier, who made the part for me and through him with the 3D printer and material manufacturer, to work out what went wrong as the material is said to be able to withstand stress and strain.
IMG_1234.jpg
IMG_1234.jpg (1.66 MiB) Viewed 1412 times
The good news is that WMT have bought more olive barrels, 20 (yes twenty) of them!

Just stating the obvious, but just in case, please don't turn on the stop cock at the base of the water butts!

Hwyl

Penri
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Where are we going to put 20 barrels!
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Good question!
Hamish
Penri

Post by Penri »

I thought you guys could virtualise them!

I'll find places, there are lots of "dead" / unused areas around WMT especially behind the buildings.
Penri

Post by Penri »

Hello

I've updated the design for the splitter and had it printed, this time in a more durable material, at least that's what the material is called!

This morning I fitted the new splitter and replaced the detachable screw coupling with one that has an integral rubber o-ring seal, so avoiding the need for Plumbers Mait and hopefully curing the leak we've seen from that coupling.

Penri
Penri

Post by Penri »

Hello

Did a small bit of pipe re-arrangement in the sump today and cut the two return pipes, from the butts, to equal lengths, trimming them to around where maximum (overflow) water level would be. I then opened the value and ran some water back from the barrels, lo and behold both return pipes delivered water equally.

I surmise that the issue Hamish and I saw a little while ago of only one pipe delivering water, was down to one of the return pipes being longer and often below water level causing an air lock to form in that pipe, which the water head in the barrels could not overcome.

Anyway everything was fine today after my fiddling, let's hope it stays like that.

Hwyl

Penri