Summary of meeting 5/9/2017

A forum for discussing/summarising the meetings we hold at WMT. Also a good place for general discussion.
hamishmb

Summary of meeting 5/9/2017

Post by hamishmb »

Hi,

Here's a summary of what we discussed, what we're doing/need to do, and what needs more discussion.

We talked about:
  • The issues with the network connectivity between Pis.
  • Requirements specs for the software.
  • Upcoming hardware and software installations.
  • Working on the project with students from QE school.
What we need to do:
  • Keep working on the software to fix some more bugs.
  • Perform a diagnosis on the cable and its connectors to try and see what's going on.
  • Put SumpPi in a water-proof box/area of some kind.
  • Try to get a deployment working, involving:
    • Fixing the connectivity problems.
    • Ongoing work with the software.
    • Installing new hardware.
    • Testing.
What needs more discussion:
  • The difference between design and functional requirements.
  • Whether we need either for the software (at all, or at this particular moment in time).
  • Whether requirements would be beneficial or confusing to QE students.
  • What kind of level the QE students are at in terms of programming, and whether they would understand some of the technical language we might need to use to explain how the software works.
I look forward to this discussion, and coming to a consensus on these issues.

All in all, a good meeting, and we have plans for what to do next. On Thursday 7/9/2017 I'll come in and try and reconfigure SMB so I can write the software to the cards.

Hamish
Hamish
hamishmb

Re: Summary of meeting 5/9/2017

Post by hamishmb »

I didn't reconfigure SMB or do software because Terry needed to bring the pi's home for diagnostics.

I'll do SMB at the next opportunity, and the software. Turns out I can use SFTP, but r/w SMB may be helpful anyway.

Note that we should remove these services or use non standard ports for security in our final deployment.
Hamish
Penri

Post by Penri »

Hello

Just to clarify on the student front, at the moment the only positive interest in moving forward I have is from Canford School. On Tuesday, this week, I got a call back from the gentleman who deals with their community engagement programmes to say that all the students were placed for this term but he was very interested in exploring opportunities for next term i.e. in the New Year. He said he would call me back in 3-4 weeks to arrange a meeting / visit to talk around the subject; what needs to be done, what capabilities they have, what can we expect, what can they expect, etc. etc. Its going to need a little structured preparation and some flying by the seat of ones pants.

I feel that what we're doing at the moment and the way we're doing it is in line with the plan we've set ourselves, keeping the focus on the requirements, ensuring they are in line with the stakeholders' needs and documenting design objectives are going to be vital as we look to bring the student, hopefully, on board.

Hwyl

Penri
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

That sounds very good indeed :) Hopefully we'll hear back from the others as well.
Hamish