Lady Hanham SAC Diagnosis and Repair

A forum for discussion on the WMT River Control System hardware.
TerryJC

Lady Hanham SAC Diagnosis and Repair

Post by TerryJC »

This Topic has been created to cover the work carried out to identify the cause of bad readings from Level Probes connected to the Lady Hanham SAC while it was installed in my garage. see viewtopic.php?p=5617#p5617 for the background to this problem.
Terry
TerryJC

Re: Lady Hanham SAC Diagnosis and Repair

Post by TerryJC »

Thinking about the best strategy to diagnose this, I think in fact that there may be a fair bit that I can do with the system deployed in my garage. If I run the system as it is and set the magnet to register a dip in the voltage in one column, as described earlier, I should be able to monitor what the software is getting by adding a few print statements in the code. One way or another though, it's likely that I'll have to disassemble the system to do a repair.

This will have to wait until tomorrow now because I have other commitments today.
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

Terry

To answer your question on probes, I have one in my workshop without a flying lead (which I could remedy fairly quickly) but i'm not sure of its level of functionality. I believe there's another probe at WMT, I'll need to locate it and check its performance.

Penri
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Penri wrote: 22/02/2022, 14:54To answer your question on probes, I have one in my workshop without a flying lead (which I could remedy fairly quickly) but i'm not sure of its level of functionality. I believe there's another probe at WMT, I'll need to locate it and check its performance.
Penri,

Don't do anything until after tomorrow when I hope to have a better idea of what's wrong.
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

This problem was simpler than I thought and was down to mental finger trouble on my part..... :(

Many moons ago, we were having problems with level probes not triggering and we determined that the Limits to be used (held in Config.py) were too narrow. After discussion we opened up the limits so that there were no gaps between each pair and had no more problems. Unfortunately, I forgot to copy the new limits into the Unit Test software. :oops:

I have just done that and the probes now work. (I haven't bothered to test every level because Penri did that at the weekend (sorry Penri).) I have a small amount of testing to do on the SAC itself (Float Switches) and then I can take the whole system to Hamish. I have pushed the updated code to GitLab.

Hamish, let me know when it would be convenient to bring this stuff to your house.
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

Terry

Good to hear that they're with the test software.

Penri
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

All testing is now complete. There was a broken wire at the back of the G3 Float Switch connector and I had to remake the whole thing. The kit is ready for Lady Hanham software integration.
Terry