Maintenance

This Forum is to cover work carried out to re-engineer the existing Minster Bells and MP3 Player System, which has a number of issues caused by the original design.
Penri

Re: Maintenance

Post by Penri »

I'm not the right person to reply really but from my perspective the easier we make future support the better.

From reading what you have written we should avoid the need for a total re-build just to maintain the same functionality but at the same time ensure we can add functionality as and when we need it, to deal with some, as yet undreamt of, new requirement.

My temptation is to say go for the latest but I know nothing of the update cycles of the Pi OS (or any other OS for that matter) but if there a bedding-in period when any bugs are ironed out after a release and if there is would it make sense to wait for that to happen before updating, perhaps 6 months?

Penri
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Penri wrote: 15/11/2021, 18:21From reading what you have written we should avoid the need for a total re-build just to maintain the same functionality but at the same time ensure we can add functionality as and when we need it, to deal with some, as yet undreamt of, new requirement.
The Pi OS tracks the releases of Debian, eg once every two years.
Penri wrote: 15/11/2021, 18:21My temptation is to say go for the latest but I know nothing of the update cycles of the Pi OS (or any other OS for that matter) but if there a bedding-in period when any bugs are ironed out after a release and if there is would it make sense to wait for that to happen before updating, perhaps 6 months?
Debian is usually pretty good, plus updates to a release come out frequently. If we waited 6 months, the system would be going 'live' and the opportunity to upgrade the OS would be missed.

On balance, I'd rather do it now, but I will monitor the Raspberry Pi Forums for any major issues.
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

Good point on waiting 6 months taking us into next season, it was only by way of a suggestion, but good point nevertheless.

Should be set a date each close season to do review and update?

Penri
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Terry,

Where did you find the information regarding how long Buster and Bullseye will be supported? Every time I've looked I've failed to find anything about support timelines for Raspberry Pi OS.
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Hamish,

It was in response to a question on the Forums.
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

This morning I completed testing of the refurbished hardware. I still have to backup the two SD Cards, but I will be returning the kit to Penri tomorrow morning.

Here is a summary of the updates:
  • Hardware:
    • Removed the WiFi Adaptor from the system. (This will be recycled for use on the Underground system.)
    • Added a Cat5/6 cable between a new connector on the base of the IP65 Case and the Ethernet connector on the Pi 3 (Music Pi).
  • Software:
    • Upgraded the OS on both Pis to bullseye and fixed the issues that arose due to the upgrade. These included:
      • A problem caused by pytz now being deprecated, but the change not yet supported in tzlocal. This generates reams of Warnings but does no harm.
      • A problem whereby the simple command to set the volume, sent to amixer, triggered an error. This was fixed by sending the command to pulseaudio.
      • A shell script to launch the Webserver stopped working with an error that flask could not be found. Typing flask in a shell works, so there is some change to the environment when using bash at the console and when using it from script. This was fixed by typing the full path to flash in the script.
    With hindsight the upgrade to bullseye could have waited until next Winter, but it's done now.
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

Just as a point of clarification, before this can be tested in situ there are few little tasks I have to manage and/or do, these are in hand but will take a few week to complete.
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

If it would be helpful, I may be able to come in a couple of times to help out. Let me know if so and when it would be useful for me to come in.
Hamish
Penri

Post by Penri »

Hamish

That's very good of you and I may take you up on the offer later but first I need our contractor to dig a trench so we can get the Ethernet cable a little closer and then in to the Minster.

Hwyl

Penri
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Okay, seems fair enough, is that not something we can do with a pickaxe?
Hamish