Deployment

This forum is to cover discussion about the design and implementation of a model TV Set to be placed in the Window of one of the two TV Shops in the WMT.
TerryJC

Re: Deployment

Post by TerryJC »

I've had more replies from the Raspberry Pi list. One pointed out something that I should have realised:
It is pointless anyway to measure the 5V supply -- by the time that collapses, the battery is absolutely dead, and it's too late for a safe shutdown. This is because the DC-DC converter will maintain 5V out as the battery voltage falls, as the expense of drawing even more current from the battery, discharging it even faster.
The other suggestions are evenly split between major hardware changes (even though I've pointed out that we don't want to do anything to the hardware until winter shutdown) and making the file system read-only, which will work but will make it hard to update the software or the images. One idea that works for the images is to put them on the network (eg the NAS Box). This will do nothing to allow the OS to be updated.

(If we'd used a Pi 4 (at nearly five times the price and 2-3 times the size), we could have used a network boot.)
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

I haven't had time to do much while away, but I did just attempt log into the five Tiny-TVs. All but one responded; the Dacombe one presumably because the battery is flat. All of the others came up with an uptime of just under 7 hours for 192.168.0.74 and 192.168.0.75 and 7 days for 192.168.0.72 and 192.168.0.73.

So if we can find a way to power all of the Tiny-TV installations 24/7, we should be OK. If it is felt needed I can blank the screens between 10 am and 5 pm.
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

All five Tiny-TVs responded to remote login about 5 minutes ago. At approx 7:30 this morning only two responded and gave an uptime of 13 days. The rest were down.

I presume that two are still switched off overnight and one had a flat battery.
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

Terry

You are absolutely right. I took delivery of a higher capacity battery yesterday, I need to add a suitable connector, over the weekend, then we should see longer up-times for the Dacombe TinyTV.