Startup Scripts

Sub-forum for general software improvements threads
hamishmb

Startup Scripts

Post by hamishmb »

I have created a git repository for the startup scripts. This makes it easy to track the versions, and also makes it easy to update them on the NAS - it also has git now.

The repository is at https://gitlab.com/wmtprojectsteam/nas-setup-scripts/.
Hamish
hamishmb

Re: Startup Scripts

Post by hamishmb »

Okay, the startup scripts are now in a stable and fully working state.

The only thing they can't do is perform a shutdown or reboot, but we can use the web interface to do this remotely, so it's not currently a big problem I think. The normal shutdown and reboot commands crash the NAS box, so they aren't an option until I figure out why.
Hamish
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

I tried again, and made a somewhat embarrassing discovery:
  • The "poweroff" command seems to halt the box, but doesn't remove power - not useful.
  • The "reboot" command does in fact reboot it as you would expect! :oops:
I was sure I'd already tried the reboot command, but apparently not! That's one problem solved anyway :lol:
Hamish
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

I have updated the startup scripts to make the engineer GUI accessible on boot.

There are a few remaining issues to be resolved, but these are essentially done and fully operational now.
Hamish
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

I have fixed scp on the NAS box now, so it is possible to scp directly to and from it just like the pis. The instructions at viewtopic.php?p=4144#p4144 are no longer needed.

This was not an issue before as home, but because of the way the VPN works, we can no longer initiate the scp transfer from the NAS box, hence needing the fix.
Hamish
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

I have applied and tested a small fix for these scripts. The command line output from the river system software was filling up a log file unnecessarily, and this is now fixed.
Hamish
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

The command line output from the river control system is now saved in syslog, accessible from the NAS box's web interface. This should help me figure out why Python crashes every now and then.
Hamish