Overall Requirements

TerryJC

Re: Overall Requirements

Post by TerryJC »

So in reality, the second option is what's needed; select Playlist and loop through all Playlists as a matter of course (ie by default). No-one would like to stop Playlist looping, just be able to select the one they want from time to time.

That's fairly easy to implement.
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Penri,

Another query about functionality.

When someone goes to the Webserver Status Monitoring page, they will be given the current state of the system and (at the moment) no updates unless they refresh the page (not particularly easy on a mobile device). There are two solutions to this, both relatively easy to implement:
  1. Add a Refresh button to the Status Monitoring page.
  2. Make the page auto-refresh.
Option 1 would have no impact on performance, whereas Option 2 might, because there is a need to set a timed interrupt, which may or may not consume more processing power. In truth, I suspect that neither solution will affect overall performance that much because the main software on the two Pis already has to monitor for messages between the running programs and that also involves a timed interrupt.

The Control Page will update the status values after each button has been pressed.

What do you think?
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

NB: There's a little bit of JavaScript for this that you can steal from the Engineer GUI if needed for option 2 - you won't need to change your program that way, I think.
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

I was thinking of using Flask-moment.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Oh nice, didn't know you could do that from the server side. I'll have a look at that too, might be useful for my project.
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

hamishmb wrote: 01/02/2021, 11:06Oh nice, didn't know you could do that from the server side. I'll have a look at that too, might be useful for my project.
Well I'm not certain you can do that yet, but it's mentioned in the Harvard Video (I think) so I'll look back at that if that's the way we want to go.
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

I may be wrong about flask-moment. A quick trawl of the net reveals that it's more about refreshing the date and time displayed on the page rather than refreshing the page. I must have misunderstood what the lecturer was talking about when it was mentioned. It makes sense for page refresh to be a client side activity too.

No matter, even if it has to be done in JS it appears to be very simple.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Yep, IIRC it may have even been a one liner.
Hamish
Penri

Post by Penri »

I'd go with the refresh button option.
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

OK. Thanks.
Terry