Wireless Access Point - Unable to Connect

Discussion forum about Wimborne Model Town's Town Quiz Web Server.
TerryJC

Wireless Access Point - Unable to Connect

Post by TerryJC »

For the record, I tried to connect to WMT-Guest today, but couldn't although the signal appeared to be strong enough. I reset the AP by power cycling it (not the Pi) and it is now working fine. To the best of my knowledge this hasn't been power cycled since April (or maybe since the power cut a month or so ago, when one of the gardeners dropped an extension lead into the River), but we might need to keep an eye on it.
Terry
TerryJC

Re: Wireless Access Point - Unable to Connect

Post by TerryJC »

While I was testing the new web image, I asked Stuart to try it out using his iPhone. He appeared to have a great deal of difficulty connecting to the Wireless AP because iOS popped up a dialogue full of meaningless information and options (to a software/networking novice). It wasn't until I touched a button at the bottom of the page which offered two protocols (bootp and DHCP) and Auto. He was then able to connect and load wmt.com.

Interestingly, Penri has not experienced this problem with his phone which is also an iPhone.

We may have to expand the instructions for iPhone users (or train the front office staff).
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

Probably not the right thread to post on but ...

Went into WMT for a quick tour of inspection this morning, coincidentally Nick was there too, found the wooden shelter to which we'd attached the Wireless access point had fallen (blown) over. The Ethernet cable attached to the antenna has been ripped out the the antenna housing.

Do not have time to do anything about the issue today but will return before the weekend.

Penri
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Is the Antenna damaged in any way? Also is the cable end repairable?
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

I only had time for a cursory look today, will be able to say more when I've had a chance to examine things.
Penri

Post by Penri »

OK here's how things looked this morning:
IMG_6067.jpeg
IMG_6067.jpeg (112.09 KiB) Viewed 939 times
Ethernet cable has been wrenched out of RJ45 connector and pulled through tie-wraps attaching it to the cranked pole.
IMG_6072.jpeg
IMG_6072.jpeg (156.93 KiB) Viewed 939 times
Pole, fixings and antenna all look in good shape although cover had popped off ...
IMG_6076.jpeg
IMG_6076.jpeg (62.05 KiB) Viewed 939 times
... and was lying on the ground near where top of shelter had landed.
IMG_6077.jpeg
IMG_6077.jpeg (107.34 KiB) Viewed 939 times

I isolated the POE supply to the antenna at the Wendy Street switch box, then removed POE PSU and injector, recovered the antenna and cover and will take those items to Terry for inspection.

The bare end of the Ethernet cable have been trimmed off and the cable then bagged. Cable has service loop so remaking end with another RJ45 should be possible.

Terry, I suggest putting the antenna in a warm dry place for a day of two, to drive out any moisture that may have got in, before powering up.

Penri
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Penri wrote: 30/12/2020, 11:56Terry, I suggest putting the antenna in a warm dry place for a day of two, to drive out any moisture that may have got in, before powering up.
OK. Will do.
Terry