Overall Design

TerryJC

Re: Overall Design

Post by TerryJC »

Penri wrote: 14/11/2020, 15:32 On the connections question, no I don't have a record of the wiring.

When I worked on the Quaterjack last year I only concerned myself with the mechanics of his arm movements.
OK. I still have this idea that I saw a version with a round industrial connector. Oh well it doesn't really matter. It was only to give me a heads up on how many connectors I need to buy.

BTW. Those audio DIN connectors are fairly cheap so I'll be using one for the second speaker in the Tower. This means that there will be four on the bottom of the box; the Quarterjack, the second Tower Speaker and the two Nave Speakers. Then there will be the SMA connector and the mains going in.
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

While I was hanging around waiting for the price to drop on the Pirate Audio HAT I stumbled across this https://thepihut.com/products/adafruit- ... spberry-pi. Not only is it cheaper than the Pirate Audio version, but it doesn't have an LED Display (which we don't need) and the GPIO connector slides over the pins and allows them to protrude, so I won't need the breakout board to get to the GPIO pins to drive the solenoids. I will continue to pick up the fan power from a 5 V Distribution board, rather then GPIO Pins 4 and 6, because it mean that the fan current doesn't have to go through the Pi. The other good thing about this 'Bonnet' is that they specify the performance somewhat better than Pimoroni
do for their HAT and the 3 W per channel is only available if 4 Ohm Speakers are used. At 8 Ohms, the power output falls to 1 W. I suspect that the Pimorini device is the same, but at least we know that we can increase the volume by up to three times by paralleling up additional speakers or finding some 4 Ohm types, should it be necessary.

I have made some changes to the mechanical design as well as the circuit diagram to accommodate things that have come to light as I constructed it. I'll post the updated diagrams in due course.

(BTW. I'm very impressed with the Dual Fan Heat-sink; it straddles the SoC and the other hot chip on the top of a Pi 3 and is whisper quiet. I ran a stress test for around 15 minutes and the CPU temperature only got up to ~50 degC.)
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

I have paused hardware construction temporarily while I prototype the software for the Music Player. To cover this development I have created a new Sub-forum (viewforum.php?f=55). In this I have outlined the approach that i am using and asked a couple of questions, so I would appreciate a bit of feedback.
Terry