Introduction

A subforum for discussion of the mobile visitor GUI, which will form part of Hamish's dissertation.

Please note: This does NOT replace the Canford visitor GUI, and will not share code as the platform and display will necessarily be quite different to make it fit on the screen of a mobile device.
hamishmb

Introduction

Post by hamishmb »

This project will form the basis of my dissertation with the Open University.

Deliverables at the end will be a mobile view of the river system suitable for visitors. It will need to display nicely on a phone/similar, but also have enough detail to be educational and informative. It will not really overlap much or share any code with the Canford desktop Visitor GUI, as the design will have to be quite different. It also remains to be decided what form this GUI will be in - this is all subject to discussing the requirements.

Please note that apart from discussing requirements, any design requirements, and any non-functional requirements/constraints, I will need to be very careful discussing implementation details here. I think me suggesting different approaches and discussing them to find what is most appropriate for the model town is okay (as long as it is public and on this forum), but I will not be able to take recommendations on things like design patterns or detailed implementation, because I could then be accused of plagiarising, or doing an insufficient amount of work.

Finally, I should note that I'm happy for the requirements discussion to go as in-depth as needed. We can have lots of complex features, but just keep in mind that they might go outside the scope/time constraints of the OU project and I may have to add extras later - that's okay :)

I'll start the discussions for requirements soon, and then basic design requirements soon after that. Please remember to subscribe if you're interested in shaping the requirements :)

Hamish
Hamish