Installation Specification

Holds subforums for discussions about Wimborne Model Town's River System.

All WMT River System files can be found at https://wmtprojectsforum.altervista.org ... em%20Files
TerryJC

Installation Specification

Post by TerryJC »

I have created this Topic because the Installation Specification is now at Version 0.11, but apart from being mentioned in passing, doesn't appear to have a Topic of its own.

This document mainly covers software installation because the installation of hardware is fairly straightforward and will in due course be covered in the User Manual. Subjects covered include:
  1. The Software Environment:
    1. Installation of Raspberry Pi OS.
    2. Installation of software packages needed by the River System software.
    3. General device and network configuration.
  2. Configuration of the individual devices, including installation of the River System Software.
  3. NAS Box Configuration.
  4. Testing, including:
    1. Unit Testing.
    2. System Testing.
    3. The use of Virtual Machines in testing.
  5. General Maintenance:
    1. Backing up SD Cards.
    2. Restoring to SD Cards.
As the development of the River System grows, this document will be updated and eventually published at Issue 1.0.

Note that the documentation of the installation of the VPN Server is not covered here, but instead in the Installation Specification for the Webserver (see https://wmtprojectsforum.altervista.org ... ion%20Spec. It was debatable whether that was the right decision, since it will be River System developers who will make the most use of the VPN facility. However, I put it there because the functionality of the VPN Server and its hardware installation is closely allied to the Webserver and depends on it for a small part of its capability. The appropriate cross-reference will be inserted in the relevant documents in each project.
Terry
hamishmb

Re: Installation Specification

Post by hamishmb »

I have issued a very minor update to the installation specification. This consists of minor revisions to the Pi and NAS Box VMs. My document is attached for review below.
Attachments
WMT_River_System_Installation_Specification_Iss_0.13_hamishmb.odt
(1017.54 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Hamish,

I've made one change to your version. On Page 13, static_routers should be set to 192.168.0.30.

I've uploaded Issue 0.13 to the fileserver.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Attached is a new draft. This includes information on how to set up the backup and restore functionality.
Attachments
WMT_River_System_Installation_Specification_Iss_0.14.odt
(1019.26 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Hamish,

I made some minor changes in style and uploaded it to the fileserver
Terry