Documenting the NAS box and related setup procedures

A forum for discussion on the software for the WMT River Control System
hamishmb

Re: Documenting the NAS box and related setup procedures

Post by hamishmb »

Okay, attached is a screenshot.

I guess you and I can just store the passwords in our password managers for now, then when we disable remote access at some future date we can document them in the manual. Note that the current passwords for the pis are public, so we'll want to change them before we enable remote access :)

Hamish
Attachments
NASh change password.png
NASh change password.png (81.45 KiB) Viewed 1033 times
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Hamish,

Thanks.
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Hamish,

I think that I now have a reasonable document with all the Sections that we discussed in place.

For consistency within the document I have re-arranged the order slightly so that Initial Login is followed by Changing the Administrator Password and then the rest of the Sections.

I have one final question before I upload the document to the fileserver. On the Forum, there is a Topic called 'Installing/cross-compiling programs'. This includes such things as OpenSSL, OpenSSH, file, nano, etc. There's no mention of this in any of the Sections in the Installation Spec, just a Section called 'Starting the Build', which seems to cover the building of the Cross-compiler and not all the other stuff.

Have I missed something or is it covered by some of your other sections?
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Ah good. Changing the order there definitely makes sense.

I've deliberately left that stuff out, because I don't yet know if I'll need to build more stuff or re-build some of that stuff - I'd like to be sure it's all done and dusted before we go to the effort of documenting it in a proper document :)

There are a few other things to document too, like the NAS box VM setup, but I think they'd probably go in other documents, or could be done in a later revision when things are more finalised.
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

OK. I'll put a note at the bottom of the Section on the Cross-compiler to that effect.
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

OK. I've uploaded V0.9 to the fileserver.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Looks good to me :)
Hamish