Network issues investigation

A forum for discussion on the software for the WMT River Control System
Penri

Re: Network issues investigation

Post by Penri »

My number one job is to connect the armoured Ethernet into the Wendy House patch panel.
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

I'm assuming you're talking about the long cable running along the fence towards the gazebo?

I don't think we want to do that until we know why the system isn't working properly - the webserver and antenna seem to be working fine, but they might not be after doing this, given we don't know what the problem is.
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Hamish,

That shouldn't be a problem, since it is Penri's intention to connect the to ends to the Patch Panel inside the big IP65 box. We can easily link the two ends back together using a short drop cable instead of linking them into the Switch if there is any concern about the WiFi Antenna/Webserver affecting the system or the system affecting the WiFi Antenna/Webserver.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Hmm okay.

My understanding was that we weren't going to change anything else until we had figured out why this wasn't working - from what I remember we did have concerns and wanted to wait until after closing before we did that.
Hamish
Penri

Post by Penri »

Patching the armoured cable through the patch panel will not impact the existing water system but we’ll need it for the NAS Box implemention.
I can make the change myself once the websever is taken down.
I want take advantage of this week’s weather window to get as much work done.
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

A few days ago my Pi at home kept losing the network connection, and I found that WiCD (a network manager program) was interfering with my settings. Is it possible that we have network-manager or WiCD installed on the Pis at WMT?
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Unless Raspbian has WiCD installed by default, then it won't be there. Bearing in mind that I build these installations from Raspbian Lite, the only networking tools are going to be the defaults; WPASupplicant and whatever is needed to get Ethernet to work.

I'll not be back to WMT until next week, but what should I look for?

BTW the Pis seem to be working now. We haven't seen any network problems for a while.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Check if they are installed with:

Code: Select all

dpkg --get-selections | grep wicd
and

Code: Select all

dpkg --get-selections | grep network-manager
Nothing should show up in theory if they aren't installed.
Hamish